Friday, August 25, 2006

I know it has been a while since i posted my first blog. I loved it so much I thought I would do another one. Typing has not been one of my great skills because one must have something to write about in order to type. Makes sense doesn't it!
Marsha and I had a great vacation this summer. It is hard for me to get away from work but when I do I like to make the most of it. My brother, Mike hooked me on hiking in the mountains 12 or so years ago and I like going when I can. Usually I fly to Portland, but this year I decided to drive out and take in a few sites I had never before seen. Namely, the Teton mountains and Yellowstone Park. We would be spending a lot of time behind the windshield, but why not! We were not disappointed. Our plans were to tent camp rather than hotel it. I purchased a two man tent at the Coleman store in Branson that was light weight for backpacking and easy to setup. Marsha had some reservations at first but adjusted to the idea. We knew we would be in bear country and that added a little adventure to the big picture. If we lived through it, we would have something to tell our grandchildren and great grandchildren.
The only bear we saw in Wyoming was from a distance and a mother black bear was taking her cub to the top of this tall tree. I am not sure if she was teaching the little one how to climb trees or if she planned to abandon the cub to begin his life on his own. There may be a human moral to that story if you know what I mean.
Our first night in the tent was great except for the young boys who set up camp next to us. This was their night out with Bud. The rushing water in the brook next to us muffled some of the noise. The next morning was Sunday and we attended church that was nearby before heading for Jackson Hole, Wy. The Christians there were very warm and friendly.
Jackson Hole is a beautiful place. The town is rustic and decorated with western mountain architecture. A ski lift downtown took us to a little over 10000 foot elevation that gave us a spectacular view of Jackson Hole and the surrounding area. While Oklahoma was enjoying 105 degree days, we were basting in the high 60's.
From there we traveled to Yellowstone park. The park is trying to re-grow itself from the fire of the mid 80's. More later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home